Thursday, September 23, 2010

Wow. Really?

Pregnancy brings with it a multitude of interesting "symptoms" - most notably nausea and fatigue (at least so far).

Today, I experience something new.

I've always slightly mocked my own mother for her propensity to cry at movies, books, news stories, the plights of random strangers, etc. Phrases uttered included "Whoops, Mom's turning on the waterworks again," or the classic "Mom, seriously? We're going to drown."

I can only think of one time she and I really shared a crying moment. We went to our local theater to see the movie "Little Women", starring Winona Ryder and Christian Bale. Being very familiar with children's literature, Mom was savvy and brought along a box of Kleenex.

That she promptly left in the car. A fact we discovered during the movie when Beth got sick. We shared a partially illuminated look of horror and searched frantically for something, anything, to serve as a drying aide.

All we came up with was half of a paper napkin from the concession stand. It was ours, it was clean (aside from a few smears of fake butter), and it was all we had. As Hannah the maid sprinkled the rose petals on the piano, my mother and I sobbed into our half napkin, handing it back and forth.

Whatever, germophobes. We're family.

However, we knew there was more sorrow to come in that movie. My ingenious mother wrung out the napkin (wring, wring, wring, wring, wring the message out) and placed it over the back of the seats in front of us so it could dry a little. By the time we needed it again, it was actually mostly dry.

All that to say that today I cried watching a YouTube video. There is absolutely no explanation for my shedding of tears. I was sitting at my desk watching it on my computer with a big black dog curled up at my feet, breathing on my knees (and making me sick to my stomach).

Here, for your enjoyment, is the video that made me cry. Feel free to mock me.

7 comments:

  1. No mocking. My first trimester I cried during a Toyota commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let the waterworks begin. Let me tell you, I felt the same way, grossly embarrassed at my unique and newfound ability to cry at anything. It only worsens after the baby's born, because everything's blown up 10,000-fold. But, in another way, it's a blessing, because it gives you another way to feel, be compassionate, and quite visibly express emotion. I love emoting, don't you!? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I burst into tears in my second trimester when we drove by some roadkill once. I wasn't fully dead yet and I thought I saw it wave at me. It was bad. Oh yeah...just wait until you have the baby and then start watching baby/puppy/bunny commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BAHAHAHAH!!! I saw that youtube for the first time while I was pregnant, and cried my eyes out. And I'm with Megan and Miranda - it only gets worse, and at the same time so much better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Grandchild (a/k/a Skeletor)! Revenge is sweet! Just don't watch any Hallmark Christmas specials! (And you forgot, "Mom, are you crying AGAIN?!") By the way, is there any info as to how much of that video was choreographed and how much was spontaneous?

    ReplyDelete
  6. And, just for the record, I did NOT cry over the video -- just chuckled and called your pop in to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to add to it, but it DOES get worse after birth. On the way home from the hospital with Bella there had been a Bicycle death on our route home sometime while I had been in the hospital. There were cars and people lining the road for almost a mile and a little white cross on the side of the road. I lost it....seriously lost it. And I think I may have cried a bit at this video too. Welcome, Jenn, Welcome.

    ReplyDelete