Monday, September 20, 2010

Warning...




this post does contain discussion of a couple of less-than-ideal nausea situations. Read ahead at your own risk.


I was pretty excited that I made through 10 weeks of pregnancy without puking. I was in Atlanta and ate some yogurt and an apple for breakfast before we headed out to my parents' other crib (haha, get it?) to do some flying in Dad's airplane. However, about 10 minutes down the road, my poor father got a very calm, "Hey Dad, you'll need to pull over in the next minute."

Drivers down Highway 124 on their way to I-20 were treated to the sight of the right rear door opening and me tossing my cookies for the world to see. I have to say, I felt a lot better right afterward. Mom and Dad whisked me (albeit carefully) to the local Panera where I gnawed on a plain bagel and drank a ginger ale.


Today after work, I decided to head to Sunflower Market. After all, poor Ben hasn't had any food to take to work this week, so I thought I'd get some sandwich meat and cheese. That way I didn't have to actually cook. Okay, so that wasn't my entire motivation, but it may have factored in.

Going to the grocery store is a completely different ball game when you're pregnant. Sights and smells assault you from out of nowhere. Sunflower Market is a natural foods store (but the only one that carries Boar's Head brand meats/cheeses, our go-to deli option), which means that not only do sights and smells assault you out of nowhere, but the sights/smells are compounded by a weirdness factor. You don't usually catch whiffs of patchouli oil in a regular grocery store. I'm just sayin'.

I purchased my meat and cheese from the deli counter and went to peruse the bread. As I bent over to check out a multi-grain loaf, all of a sudden, an all-too-familiar feeling started to come over me. It usually begins with a slight tightening of the jaw muscles (specifically the ones right in front of my ears), and then the throat muscles constrict...and I'll spare you the rest. I stayed like that for a minute, trying to figure out if the threat of imminent emesis was real. It was. I glanced around, found the restroom sign (located, of course, at the other end of the store) and walked quickly towards it, holding a finger/hand near or on my mouth. In the last 20 feet or so, dignity was cast to the winds and we went to full-scale speed demon with the hand completely clamped over the face. I ditched my meat and cheese in the organic juice cooler and made it the restroom just in time for the eject button.

Massaman curry is one of my favorite foods in the entire world. But it may be a while before I can face it again. No one looks good after a bath in stomach acid.

If you made it this far, congratulations. Skeletor and I salute you.

3 comments:

  1. Pobrecita! Glad you made it to the restroom in time! Would not want Sunflower Market to become your personal Red Rocks.
    Sorry I had to cut you off today -- we did get the guy to the class.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhh bless it! I'm trying to post a similar regurgitation story (but not from pregnancy-induced nausea). You do good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed "imminent emesis."

    There are foods that made me sick when I was pregnant with Macy (more than 2 years ago!) that I STILL have trouble eating. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete