Friday, September 17, 2010

Milestone!

Tonight Ben was working, so I cooked dinner for myself. This is the first time I've ventured to cook anything for a while - Ben has been very kind to fix bowls of ice cream, fried egg sandwiches, dinners-that-after-I-ate-two-bites-of-I-had-to-leave-the-table (not because of his lack of culinary skills, mind you, but because of imminent baby-induced nausea). Granted, my meal consisted of 2 pieces of bacon, 1 fried egg, 2 pieces of cinnamon toast, and a large glass of apple juice. I had designs on some sour cream pancakes or some nice homemade waffles, but as I drifted in and out of REM sleep on the couch, I realized that eggs/bacon were the easy way to go. Of course, now it's 7ish and my body has started the nightly nausea routine. I may yet regret my culinary prowess.

It's been an interesting food day. Haven't eaten as much as I should probably eat. I ate hummus yesterday for a nice protein boost. Today when I cracked open my hummus snack pack in Spanish 2, all of a sudden my stomach decided that it wasn't meant to happen today. It's amazing to me how food can taste so good at one time and the next minute: BOOM. It's taboo.

Even though the nausea and decision about what to eat can be kind of frustrating at times, I keep reminding myself that it's nice to feel a little bit of nausea in order to feel reassured that the pregnancy is going well. According to the doc, I'm almost at 12 weeks which is when some of this nausea should start going away.

My students were very congratulatory today. Questions and comments abounded! The one overarching question was, "Mrs. G, can we make fun of you when you get fat?" I wasn't sure how to answer this one. The knee jerk response was NO. The gremlin in me responded, "Well. If you can insult me in Spanish with proper grammar, then maybe." I then amended the statement by saying, "By the way, if I cry, your grade drops and you have to stop mocking." I may seriously regret this.

I will say that with homeschool students who don't always have a great filter anyways, this pregnancy subject is interesting and can quickly get awkward. I'm sure I'll have some interesting stories to tell soon.

48 oz of water so far. 2 more 16 oz cups to go. Time to pound it.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read these posts! I wish I would've started our family blog before Mia was born so I could've documented some of the fun times (and with students too) but I guess I have some of pleonast for that!

    Vas a ser una madre fantastico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you would do any kind of journal and this will be fun to share with you. Hope the nausea improves soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was pregnant with Macy, I would come home and lie on the couch after work, and make Matt bring me food. As often as not, the response to what he brought was, "No, not that, take it away quickly!"

    ReplyDelete