Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sigh.

So.

Most people have some sort of nickname for their child-to-be. Those that come to mind are endearing, adorable names such as "Sprout," or "Peanut". Our friends Matt and Sarah called their little Reese "Bun" while she was incubating. I tried several nicknames out on my small-but-expanding pooch. Peanut didn't work. I grew up with several parakeets named Peanut and I was afraid that might have some deep psychological scarring on the child. I tried "Cub" from the movie Fantastic Mr. Fox. It just didn't seem to have the right ring to it. I tried using both gender names that we've picked out, but once again we have the deep psychological scarring issue. (and no, we're not telling the names. We probably won't find out the gender, either!)

So.

Ben solved this problem at our first ultrasound. The picture came up on the screen.



Ben, holding my hand tightly, leaned over and whispered this endearment in my ear...

"Um...it kind of looks like Skeletor."



So.

I am going to have to explain one day to this child why we called him or her "Skeletor" for the first few months of its existence.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, when your pop saw this, he looked at it as if the top of the head was at the top of the screen and said, "It looks like Parker!" And if you look at it from that angle, think of Parker in profile facing toward the right side. Poor child! But your pop most often refers to "the little one" -- that's not so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Jenn, I've missed you. :)

    I can see Ben's point, though. And Skeletor is so much more interesting than Peanut. :)

    ReplyDelete